The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is now in effect, but what is it exactly? What does it mean to be GDPR compliant? Business and intellectual property attorney, Deneen Warmington joins us to give legal education and explain all about the GDPR and what we can do to make sure that we are GDPR compliant.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What is the GDPR?
- How is the GDPR going to affect your business?
- Who needs to comply with the GDPR and who does it apply to?
- What can we do for our websites to be GDP compliant?
- What can we do with the people that are already on our list?
- What can you do with the people, who are currently on your list, who fail to respond when asked for their consent?
- The GDPR is the new European Union privacy data law. It wants to make sure that any data that you give if you’re in the European Union, is protected.
- Even though you may not know how the GDPR is going to be enforced, it’s better to deal with it now before you’re in crisis mode.
- The GDPR doesn’t just apply to data coming from EU residents. It applies to anyone sitting in the EU, whether they are residents or non-residents, that transfer their personal, identifiable data to your website.
- “Personal identifiable data” means anything that can identify you as the person, including your IP address.
- The penalty for non-compliance can go up to €20 million or 4% of your gross annual worldwide income, whichever one is greater. And not just the European Union can come after you, but the individual person can come after you for mishandling their personal data.
- With the GDPR in place, you can no longer have an unsecured website.
- Get the user’s affirmative consent to include them on your list or when they sign up for an opt-in.
- Make sure everyone in your existing list also gives their consent.
- Get permission from your users if you have cookies on your website.
- Do your own research on the GDPR and speak to a privacy data attorney if you need to.
“Your personal data has to be protected.”
Thanks for listening!
If you haven’t already, join the Empirenista Business Incubator Community on Facebook. And if you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to leave a rating and a review on iTunes.
More from Deneen Warmington:
Virtual Intensive = Market Like A Boss Intensive
One to One = 1:1 Empirenista Business Success Mentorship
Group Coaching = Empirenista Business Success Academy
More from Alicia